Thursday 27 February 2014

A Basic Human Need.

The basic human need or desire is to be loved and to love. Just because someone is disabled in someway doesn't mean that they don't want or deserve to be loved and to love. I was lucky enough to be part of Arthritis Research UK's recent campaign focusing on arthritis and relationships. I was quoted in their press release and I was interviewed by Dave Monk from BBC Radio Essex. It was an interesting experience and one I glad I took part in even though I cringed all the way through the airing of the pre recorded interview at the sound of my northern accent sounding out across the airwaves!


Imagine your partner not being able to hold your hand because it hurts, not being able to walk hand in hand down the street, sit comfortably in a restaurant for a romantic meal, laying in pain when your partner roles over in bed and that doesn't take into account a physical/intimate relationship. Living with arthritis poses all this challenges and hurdles. I am amazingly lucky to have my wonderful hubby who understands, but we wouldn't be as close as we are now without being able to talk to each other about how both of us are feeling. A relationship is a two way street and both parties must be able to communicate. After all communication is one of the keys to a successful relationship.


I had a successful rheumy appointment on the 19th. The doctor ACTUALLY sat and listened to me and Paul about symptoms and promptly ordered brain and spine MRI and a referral to see a neurologist for the test for MS. It makes a difference to be listened to and for a doctor to take ownership of your treatment. I will still see the rheumy as well as the neurologist.


As I said in my previous blog post...I is deaf! I had my MRI for my ears this week. Now, I have had quite of few of these scans and they have never really bothered me before, but then I was going in the giant polo mint feet first NOT head first. The radiologist asks me to lay down on the bed and rest my head in a moulded bit of plastic and put ear defenders on allegedly to protect my hearing. He then put what can only be described as a cage over my head. At this point I thought it best to shut my eyes and think happy thoughts of cakes, chocolate and holidays! Now bearing in mind I have already lost 40% of my hearing and I am wear ear defenders to protect my remaining hearing that Giant Polo Mint is mighty loud! The whamping noise was mega loud and at one point I thought the whole thing was going to either take off or fall apart it was juddering around more than a washing machine on spin cycle!


I'm still waiting for my audiology appointment to be fitted with hearing aids, for the time being I will be thankful for the peace and quiet I have by being hard of hearing :-)

1 comment: