Monday 20 November 2017

The Elephant in the Room

Being disabled and a wheelchair user I often find that people see my disability rather than the person I am and what I can contribute to society. Over the years I've had people talk about me to my husband or my friends while I'm actually sat there. Assuming that my disability is compromising more than just my ability to move without pain and falling over. How rude is that?  I have been known to comment that my mind is sharp and my tongue sharper. Often the comment goes over their heads. I've also had people question my ability as a leader in the Scout movement because of my disability. I was annoyed by this as the person concerned should have known better, and you know what? I proved them wrong. I'm a great leader,  I write a fantastic programme with the leaders of our beaver colony. Parents often compliment us on what we do for the young people. I've had issues with accessibility which resulted in me not being able to take part. I was hurt and angry as it still seems the elephant in the room is my disability and my wheels instead of legs. It raised questions about inclusion and accessibility which are 2 subjects I am extremely passionate about.

Since the negative situations arose positive steps have been made and my opinion was asked. ....only at group level but that's the front line level where I can help make scouting more accessible for leaders and more importantly young people who are differently abled,  after all scouting is for all regardless of ability or financial constraints.

Fast forward to this weekend. I'm a County Beaver Leader , a role which I'm proud of. It enables me to support districts and leaders across the whole of a county. I attended a programme forum and how people in middle management roles and higher can support the leaders on the front line delivering these amazing opportunities for young people. For once my disability wasn't an issue. People spoke to me.....yes! You have no idea how good that made me feel. On workshops which involved moving around to speak to other people and form groups,  people came to me. I was included,  not ignored and my opinion was valued.  I came away having met new people with the same interests and passions and with ideas that I can take back to the teams I am part of.

Great things can happen when people see past the obvious,  get to know the person. You never know that person may be able to bring skills, and opinion, a different and valued view point to the table.

I'd love to be able to use my experiences and knowledge to make inclusion and accessibility second nature so that more young people and adults with challenges from  physical disabilities to learning challenges can enjoy scouting and gain new skills  and experiences.

Remember. ....not disabled just differently abled. 

(Disclaimer : these are my own views and not those of the organisations I am part of)

No comments:

Post a Comment