Sunday 28 January 2018

Good Advice? or Bad Advice? That is the Question

As many of you know, I have dedicated my life to raising awarenss of invisible illness and disabilities as well as being a support to those who are battling them and the challenges we face because of them.

Social media can be a fantastc source of information and support.  We can find support from people from around the world who are going through similar experiences. We can find information and advice from medications, diagnosis' to mobility aids and support groups. Many of us who struggle with the loneliness that comes along with having a chronic illness find friendships within online communities and support groups.

I have been using various social media platforms to raise awareness. Yesterday I received a tweet off the back of an awarenss post I had done on Chronic Pain. This tweet suggested that the source/cause of my pain is in my head and not taking my emotions for granted will cure me.


I was completely gobsmacked and speachless  (something that is a rare occurrence I might add) The disabled and chronic pain  community jumped on this, quite rightly so. People asking for clarification  and calling him out on his qualifications and experience to make such sweeping statements.

My concern, and that of those who commented on the tweet, is that a vulnerable person who is at the end of their tether, or unsure of where to turn, or just starting out finding a diagnosis or treatment plan may read these claims and either stop medication that has already been started, not seek the relevant medical advice from qualified medic's, or believe that all forms of chronic pain  or illness can be cured by having a positive mental attitude.

Now I do appreciate that have a positive stance in life goes a long way and does help with keeping upbeat. I do know that stress can exacerbate flare ups ofor conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia BUT it is NOT the main cause of these conditions. RA is an autoimmune condition where my immune system is attacking various parts of my body. I do try to keep my mental health healthy, which isn't always easy as depression often accompanies chronic pain, disabilities and illness. I do practice mindfulness and meditation and I'd like to think I'm a pretty positive person but I am aware that my pain is not in my head and it is not caused by my emotions.

I would love for people like this  osteopath, if that is indeed his qualifications,  to spend just one day in my body. Experience the challenges I face on a daily basis from waking up to going to sleep...if there is sleep. I saw a tweet from him replying to a lady who's hips sublux/dislocate telling her that hips "don't pop out just walking it all in the head". You can imagine how this made the lady feel and how I felt at the comment as my hips go out more than I do!

The moral of the story is; not all advice is good advice, not all information is correct, and not everyone sitting behind a keyboard has good intentions.

A Big THANK YOU to the online Wonky and Chronic Pain community for your continued support.

No comments:

Post a Comment