Tuesday 20 March 2018

Making a Home Safe

The long and drawn out process of applying for a Disability Funding Grant came to a satisfying close at the beginning of January. 16 months of assessments by my Occupational Therapist, form filling and obtaining quotes from builders and suppliers accumulated with a letter informing us that our application had finally been successful. It’s a weight off my mind knowing that we can now make the house safe for me to live in.

Just imagine struggling to do everyday tasks. Regular falls in the house and down the stairs, not being able to get my wheelchair out of the house without help and then your occupational therapist doing a revision assessment of the aids already put in place and informing you  that your home, the house you have worked hard for, are raising your children in, is no longer safe for you. It practically broke me. Plunging me into a very low mood. Questioning whether to sell our house and move away to a more suitable home, perhaps bungalow in a cheaper area. My OT told us about the Disability Funding Grant that is available from the council to help disabled people make adjustments to their home. It’s a means tested grant and you need to be in receipt of certain benefits and/or have an income under a certain annual amount.

Originally we were applying to have a wet room installed so the shower was level access, a stair lift and a step lift installed but one of my children has chronic pain syndrome and finds relief from sitting in a warm bath. My children will always come first so we are looking at other options for the bathroom.

Mid February the stair lift is fitted. It took a few hours and has made a massive difference. It’s not the fastest of speeds of ascent rent and descent so there’s no chance of taking off and flying out the bathroom window. No more falling up and down the stairs 😄 No more injuries. I can’t tell you the relief! The cats are dubious about the contraption running up the side of the stairs and view it with an air of contempt.

Mid March brings the start of the outside ground work so the step lift can be fitted. Skips delivered, cars moved, building supplies delivered, concrete steps removed and a drop that feels as deep as the Grand Canyon appears at my front doorstep, and mud, lots of mud!! Due to the great abyss opening up at the front of the house it means I’m starting to suffer with h cabin fever. I can’t get out without help from the hubster and that’s going out the back through the garage. The builders are nice enough but the noise is driving me up the wall. I have no idea how they managed it but they kept tripping the fuses and the house alarm kept being triggered. Oh man I was relieved when hubby and kids came home. Tuesdays are never good as it’s methotrexate hangover day and all I want to do is curl up under a duvet and snuggle with the cats until the kids and hubby come home. Obviously that hasn’t happened today and I’m running on fumes. It will all be worth it in the end. I’ll be able to get my wheelchair in and out of the house without any help, struggles or problems. I’ll be safer as I can use my power chariot rather than my crutches and in theory I’ll have more independence. I can’t wait!

For anyone wondering how they could possibly afford the adjustments to their home to make is safer and more accessible I recommend applying for a Disability Funding Grant. Yes, it’s a drawn out process and is far from being a quick fix but it is worthwhile. I’m glad we applied. Here’s to less injuries, falls, struggles and challenges  in my own home.

No comments:

Post a Comment