Wednesday 6 March 2019

Life on Disability Benefit

Its one of my bugbears that people think life on any benefit is easy and that its all handed to recipients on a plate. That couldn't be further from the truth. I lost my job, the job I loved and enjoyed, 4 years ago this month. My contract was terminated on medical grounds. My RA had got to the point where it wasn't controlled. Its still not controlled and I pay a price for doing pretty much anything. The price of pain and fatigue.  It was a dark time for me. I would like to say that its got easier over the last 4 years but more and more barriers are thrown my way.

Those living with long term health conditions and disability are humiliated in the most undignified way on a regular basis to be able to claim the help and financial support they need. Going through humiliating assessments and endless applications to prove their condition or disability. Most have worked hard throughout their working lives. I started working at 16, worked 2  or 3 jobs through college and university thinking I was setting myself up for a good, financially stable life. I never saw this coming. I thought my life was mapped out...… Good GCSE's, A Levels, Degree, Job, House, Husband, Family. I had all that. In fact I still have good GCSE's, A Levels, Degree, House, Husband, Family. I don't have a job. A job would mean we would be financially stable. It would mean that I can pay my bills on time without having to phone the companies grovelling for a payment arrangement. It would mean that I don't have to chose one bill over the other. It would mean that I can say to my children "yes you can have that" or "yes you can go on the Scout Camp" or "We'll get new school this weekend" rather than making excuses as to why I can't. It would mean I have self worth.

Imagine worrying about how you will pay the winter gas/electric bill so you don't put the heating on apart from an hour before the kids go to bed so their bedrooms are at least warm for them to sleep in. Wrapping up in duvets and blankets to keep warm while hubby and kids are at school. Knowing that once you're cold its difficult to get warm and your pain levels will be exacerbated. And then the bill comes in and its still the cost of your monthly benefit amount. Phoning the utility company and the agent at the end of the phone speaking to you like a piece of dirt, or benefits scrounger. When in actual fact you're an educated person who has worked hard, had a good well paid job but due to circumstances is in a situation they never thought they would be in.

I've applied for jobs but I've been told I'm not experienced enough despite having more than enough experience. I then applied for 2 other roles to be told I am over qualified. WTAF?!! I can't win.

So, I'm living a life of robbing Peter to pay Paul. Regular assessments by the DWP for the money I get to stretch out to help keep a roof over our heads, clothes on the kids, the clubs the kids do (Scouts, Dance and Music) Like every parent I sacrifice the things I need or want so they can have the things they need. I ask Havering Music School if there was any support for low income families or children on an EHCP towards the cost of H's music lessons. I was told no and that the fees were being increased. I've approached the school but haven't heard if we can get some support for him towards the cost of the fees. The Arts should be available for all not just the wealthy. Music has helped him focus. A's dance fees are expensive but she's a talented dancer and its her passion. However the long and the short of it is that these extra curricular activities will stop and then they will be children that say inside watching TV. All parents want to see their children happy and succeed.

Life on disability benefit is not a walk in the park. It's humiliating, demoralising, stressful, worrying, difficult. Just remember that anyone's circumstances can change. You can go from the top to the bottom in a heart beat. You don't know what path another person is having to walk. In a life where you can be anything, Be Kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment