Tuesday 11 June 2013

A Glimmer of Light.....

I am now half way through my being signed off from work and now working from home situation. It is suiting me much better. I am not jostled around on the tube and I am not in agony by the time I get to my desk to log in. I am able to manage my pain better because I don't have to travel into Central London. I have an appointment with my GP on 19th June as he has to assess my fitness to return to work. I am hoping he will sign me back but with provisions that I am able to work from home 2-3 days a week. Working from home is great but it does have it's drawbacks. I am extremely motivated and career minded with a strong work ethic so getting the job done is not a issue. I am however a sociable creature and I miss the interaction with my colleagues. At the moment work are being great and colleagues email me on a daily basis. Talking with people on support groups on Facebook I have realised how many people lose 'friends' because of their arthritis and immobility. It is shocking that friends would not stand by you. Some times all you want is a friend to call and say "put the kettle on, I'm coming round for a cuppa" It doesn't have to be about disability, pain and arthritis but about  friendship, having a natter about what is going on in the world as many people are not able to get out and about without help and the only trips out they have are to the doctors or hospital. Arthritis can be very lonely. I hope that people don't have to suffer that as well as the pain. I am aware that there are a number of my 'friends' who I no longer hear from and who don't return messages. I am a strong person and my attitude is that they aren't real friends so I am better off without them. It's sad that it takes something like this for me and other people to find out. On the other hand being on the support groups has given me support and I have made more friends than I have lost, these friends understand the daily struggle. So on the whole I am better off :-)

Friday last week I had my long awaited appointment with my consultant. As you are aware I have had a number of surgeries and appointments but always saw the registrar who is unable to make the ultimate decision. Mr Kumar was very good, there was no argument which threw me a bit. He took time to read through my notes, assess my x-rays, scans and surgery pictures. He agreed that something needed to be done and I was a candidate for knee replacements but because he only sees a maximum of 3 cases like mine a year he wasn't sure which replacement would be better...a partial replacement then have a full replacement later on down the line or go straight for the full knee replacement now. He said I would greatly benefit from replacement surgery but the joints that district hospitals get are aimed at older patients with a cut and dry case. SO, the excellent news is that he has referred me to the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital at Stanmore which is a centre of excellence and a leading orthopaedic hospital worldwide. They have the facilities to custom make joints specifically for me and they have a special coating to mimic bone and prevent rejection which increases the lifespan of the replacement. I have to phone Mr Kumars secretary in a couple of weeks to confirm the referral has been sent off then phone the RNOH to confirm they have received it and check waiting times. Finally I feel there is a glimmer of light at the end of what has been a very long and dark tunnel.

Until next time, keep safe and pain free

Catherine xxx

3 comments:

  1. Hi Catherine :)
    You are so inspirational I haven't yet read a post from you that I haven't welled up! Being a fellow OA/RA bearer I can relate to many things you speak of, though I'm at the very beginning of my journey and don't expect to go through such things that you have, operations etc. I hope you find your happy medium and you can gain back whatever you want most of your life.
    What work do you do? I work from home, I design and make party decorations/accessories as well as other aspects of non-food childrens parties. That is on a hold right now though, before I go totally insane! lol
    Have a wonderful day! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie

      Thank you for your lovely comments. I am an assistant risk and compliance manager in the financial services sector. Hope you are getting the help and treatment you need.

      Love and Best Wishes

      Catherine x

      Delete
  2. I really feel for you and know how difficult it is to bring up a family when you have RA. I was 24 when I was diagnosed. Had hand joint replacements in my 40s and knees in my 50s. Go for it it will really change your life

    ReplyDelete