Thursday 25 July 2013

Heat Waves and Thunder Storms!

Hello lovely people.

Wow! Summer has finally arrived bringing hot days and muggy nights. I hear people complaining of the heat and smile to myself because in about 4 months time the very same people will be complaining of the cold and wet and possibly the snow! I like the changing of the seasons and the different types of weather they bring. I love the summer and being able to wear nice summery dresses and clothes. I love the autumn which brings the cooler weather and the changing colours of the leaves on the trees. I love the winter and being able to snuggle up under warm fluffy duvets watching films and I love the spring which brings new colours and snippets of colour after the winter months when everything has died back.

July has brought the arrival of a new Royal Baby and we saw the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge with their bundle of joy. I've been waiting to hear from 2 sets of friends who have also been waiting for their little bundles to arrive. Baby Brawn was safely delivered by c section in the wee small hours of this morning. I am now waiting to hear that Baby Leaves has arrived safely. The circle of life can be a very cruel thing. A family who are neighbours have had a very trying time over the last few years and this year has been no different. They have celebrated the birth of 2 babies but have also had to mourn the loss of a much loved brother/uncle at the same time to cancer. I really hope that this lovely family is given a break now, they are lovely people and if they are reading this they know we are thinking of them and holding them close in our thoughts.

On the arthritis side of things, many people say the weather affects their pain levels and the warmer the weather the less pain they are in and the more mobility they have. I really wish this were true for me. Because I have bone on bone the pain is as it always is....bloody awful! My back pain has been aggravated by the recent thunderstorms so part of the rumour must be true.

I had a phone call from my boss yesterday advising me that HR have decided that I am now to be fully signed off and not working until I have seen my surgeon at the RNOH. Luckily for me the appointment is on 7th August and I have a weeks annual leave which has been agreed I can take from 12th August. The Workplace Adjustments team have been in contact about whether I am eligible under the Access to Work Scheme for a taxi to and from the office. This would be fantastic if this was agreed. Working from home is great but you do miss the social interaction with your team members and colleagues. Also you miss out on support. My boss informed me that the office the team is being moved to in September does not have disabled access. As the building was converted prior to a certain date it is at the landlords discretion whether to have disabled access installed. The building is not owned by the company like other buildings so unfortunately nothing can be done which leaves me in a bit of a pickle. IF they agree to a taxi to and from work I can use my crutches and struggle up the steps into the building but if they say no to the taxi I will need to use the Ferrari to get into London and then I wont be able to get into the building :-/  Anyway this is in the hands of the workplace adjustments team and hopefully they will be able to sort something out.

Didn't we have some spectacular thunder storms the other night?! I nearly fell out of bed with a huge clap of thunder which was overhead. Harry monster woke up scared which is understandable. The twins however slept right through the storm. Paul, Harry and Myself sat in the bedroom window watching the lightening show, which was amazing! and counting waiting for the thunder. Making the storm into a game relaxed Harry and he was no longer frightened. He eventually went back to sleep in his own bed!

Tomorrow night Paul and  are going out for dinner with some friends of ours and I can't wait! We are going to a lovely Chinese restaurant in Hornchurch and I have a nice new frock to wear and a beautiful pendant Paul has made for me!
Aren't I a lucky lady! Its a beautiful hand made gold heart pendant with peridots and white sapphires. My birth stone is the peridot and Pauls is sapphires. He has chosen white sapphires as they compliment the peridots. The piece is stunning and I am looking forward to wearing it! Paul has been working on his website for his jewellery and that will be going live soon! In previous posts I have put up his Facebook page for his jewellery so have a wander over and a look at some of the pieces he has made.
 
July also has brought the end of an era. George and Amelia have finished the nursery class at Hacton Primary School and are ready to go into the Reception Class. They finished their year at Nursery with a little concert which we went to watch as very proud parents!  Harry got an Achievement Award at school for his hard work and progress in Speech and language. All 3 of my kiddies got wonderful school reports making me one extremely proud mama!
 
Back to the Arthritis bit! My DLA claim was re-evaluated and I have been awarded the higher mobility rate! The lady who phoned to do an over the phone assessment was wonderful and very understanding and I have my GP to thank for the report he sent in about my challenges and condition. On the whole July has been a positive month and fingers crossed I will get some positive news from the workplace adjustment team soon. Please keep your fingers and toes crossed me for my appointment at the RNOH on 7th August! I will be sure to let you know how I get on.
 
Keep well and relatively pain free everyone and enjoy the warmer weather....it will soon be gone :-)
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. It's nice to read someone not moaning about the weather! As you say it's the same people who will be moaning in a few months when it is cold again. Luckily I have noticed a decrease in the pain I have thanks to this lovely weather :)

    ReplyDelete