Friday 2 August 2013

Vintage, Spoofs, Towers & Spoons!

I'm sat here in my cool front room with the windows open, a thunderstorm rumbling along in the background, the children playing in a makeshift castle they have made with cushions and blankets and thinking about the last couple of weeks. I've got the end of my first full week of not working, not logging on checking my work email and not attending any meetings via telephone conference. It has been pleasant but is not something I could do full time. Don't get me wrong, I love my family and I love spending time with them but this is about being useful and being able to provide for the children we chose to bring into the world. Work is looking at options for me and I have filled in the forms for help from the Access to Work Scheme. My boss has been in contact and advised that he is keen to get me back to work and that he is more concerned with options at the moment rather than cost. This makes me feel a valued member of the team. I do truly enjoy my job so I am very lucky in that respect. I know that many people do not have this support from their employers and have had to give up work due to their arthritis are reliant on the over stretched benefits system and the red tape they have to get through. This is where schemes such as the Access to Work Scheme come into their own offering help, advice and grants. Charities like Arthritis Care and Arthritis Research UK offer a wonderful source of advice and support. They also have support groups on social media sites like Facebook which can reach out to vulnerable and isolated people.

I posted my blog on a page on Facebook only to get a comment asking if the blog is s spoof blog! I'm not quite sure what the person meant and a few of my friends have suggested a number of translations which actually made me feel quite insulted. The person who made the comment chose not to elaborate on their comment so I am non the wiser. My personal opinion is that you don't have to read it if you don't want to, it's personal choice.  I know I have made quite a few entries on my blog so people may not have read the first entry. I started blogging to help me with the changes and challenges my osteoarthritis is presenting to me. Its a way for me to get all the thoughts and feelings out of my head without having to constantly bombard and unload onto the people I love the most. If the blog can help people also going through similar experiences to mine, showing that they are not alone, that they perhaps can identify with what is happening to me then that can only be a good thing.

I love vintage clothing of the 1940's and 1950's. I love the music of the era too. Now true vintage clothing is rather expensive so I buy vintage style! My mum bought me a lovely 1950's style dress for my birthday (which is in 2 weeks so it's an early birthday present) I have bought a petticoat to go under it to give it a full look. Here is the dress (without petticoat) and a picture of me and my gorgeous hubby on our night out with some friends at the local Chinese. I even got to wear the beautiful pendant Paul made me.

 
We, like many other people shop at Tesco and collect Clubcard vouchers. We exchanged some vouchers for Days Out Vouchers and eating Out Vouchers for Ask. We ended up with £60 worth of vouchers which thought would cover the entrance for the Tower of London plus £40 worth of Ask vouchers to treat the kids for dinner after our trip to the Tower. When we got to the ticket desk we were informed that we couldn't get a family ticket using clubcard vouchers. This in fact worked in our favour! The twins are 4 years old so got free admission as under 5's. I was eligible for a concession and showed my Blue Badge and certificate of entitlement to DLA as my proof and Paul was given FREE entrance as my carer!! So all we had to pay was £26 for myself and Harry. What a result! You don't get change on the vouchers but that's not a problem. We still have £30 worth of Days Out Vouchers so will be going to the Zoo, we have exchanged some more clubcard vouchers to cover the cost! My recommendation to those who are registered disabled or have a blue badge, read the small print. You may be able to get a concession ticket and get your partner or friend in for free or a reduced price as your carer!
 
I didn't take the Ferrari to the Tower of London. I used my sticks which enabled me to get around parts that I couldn't with the chair but I was very slow and in a lot of pain. I had lots of sit down breaks and got to people watch...which if you have never done it, it is a fun and interesting pass time, I recommend it! Everyone should spend some time sitting back and observing the world.
 this is me and my gorgeous girlie xxx
 
We stayed at the Tower for about 4 or 5 hours before heading over to Ask Italian for a very late lunch and to use  our £40 vouchers!
 
I'm not sure if some of you are aware of the Spoon Theory... Have a read http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/wpress/articles/written-by-christine/the-spoon-theory/
It is an excellent way of explaining to those that don't understand about living with a disability or illness. The lady who wrote it has Lupus but it can be applied to those with Arthritis or any invisible illness. I use it!
 
Now our trip to the tower has used up all my spoons for that day and I borrowed spoons from the next two days! Consequently I have been in a lot of pain where the pain meds don't really take the edge of it. It is SO frustrating that to enjoy ourselves with our families the arthritis makes us pay big time afterwards. I can guarantee that I will have some 'interesting' dreams thanks to Mr Tramadol and Mrs Cocodamol but this is the price I pay for making the summer holidays memorable for the kids.
 
The 1st August marked Lammas which is the Pagan festival celebrating the first cut of the harvest. Paul and the kids made bread.
We ate lunch and dinner in the garden which was lovely. Sadly today is a wet day so we won't be enjoying the garden today.
 
I made a cake last week for the family. I called it "I love My Family" it got devoured!
 
This Sunday Paul and I are going to the Queens Theatre in Hornchurch to see a Buddy Holly tribute act...I can't wait!! I have another 1950's style dress to wear and Paul is going to wear his suit and trilby hat! I don't know about anyone else but I HAVE to have something to look forward to, to get me through the bad and painful days. We have had these tickets for a couple of months now and it's a pre-birthday treat! The Queens Theatre is accessible for disabled people so I know I don't have to worry about getting in there and moving around the place. The staff are also wonderful and helpful.
 
Wednesday next week is my appointment at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital at Stanmore. I suppose I am pinning all my hopes on this appointment and the skills of the surgeon. I am hoping he can do the replacement surgery I desperately need. I am not naïve I know what the surgeries entail but I NEED to be able to move around without a wheelchair and crutches. The Ferrari is nice as far as wheelchairs go but I long to be able to walk with my children and hold their hands before they grow up and don't want to hold their mama's hand. I want to walk hand in hand with my hubby like other couples do that are in love. Fingers crossed I will be able to do this in the not too distant future.
 
I was reading a post on a social network page about husbands/partners and family not being understanding of the challenges and the pain people go through. I am SO lucky with Paul. He literally does everything for me and he doesn't complain. He tells me everyday that he loves me, he holds me gently when I cry because of the pain, he let me vent and shout with the frustration of not being able to do simple tings that others take for granted and he doesn't take it personally. He is wonderful and if I could clone him so others could have someone in their lives that is loving and understanding I would. Does Paul read my blog? No, he says he doesn't need to because he lives this with me and he knows I tell him everything. Would I like him to read it?...maybe, but only so he can read how much he means to me. Infact, I'm going to tell him right now...again
 
xxxx 
 

3 comments:

  1. I am sorry to hear someone took precious time to send u a negative comment. They must be a miserable person within their lives or self. Keep on blogging. I'm looking into starting one myself having multiple chronic pain illnesses & issues. This is healthy for u & helpful for others as well. We are not alone with arthritis or even other things that people can't see on the outside. Especially as parents we have many struggles in common. I'm in the United States, Michigan to be exact. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Danielle. Thank you for your lovely comment. Please start a blog! I'd love to read about your experiences. I find blogging therapeutic and I have had some lovely emails and comments from people. sadly there are some negative people around.

      hoping you are having a relatively pain free day xxx

      Delete
  2. I am so glad you found your way to blogging. It has helped me deal with my RA and I'm happy to share my experiences with others. It's a great way to connect to people going through the same thing. I am also lucky to have a supportive partner who helps me through my bad days. Keep up the fight and may your good days outnumber the bad.
    Best
    J.G. Chayko
    http://theoldladyinmybones.com

    ReplyDelete