Monday 19 August 2013

Birthday Laughter and Adventures!

Wow! What a birthday week! The best news ever arrived! The date for my right knee replacement is going to be 11th October. The left knee will be done shortly after if all goes well. FINALLY I feel as though I have been taken seriously by a consultant who has managed to look past my age, which now has another year notched onto it as I reached the grand age of 33 last week. Having a confirmed date makes a world of difference. To know that something is going to be done to make my life easier. Yes the initial pain is going to be hell by all accounts but that pain is going to be worth it. To be able to go out with just a stick instead of the wheelchair will be fantastic until both knees are done! I'm looking forward to being able to hold my kids hands, and of course Paul's hand when we go out.

We are members of the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight Official Club and we decided that we would take a bit of a diversion on our trip to Scarborough and have a look around the BBMF Visitors Centre and have a guided tour round the hanger at RAF Coningsby. The kids were on count down, counting the sleeps. They each have their own individual favourite planes and it is wonderful to see their enthusiasm towards iconic planes that played an important role in our country's history. The Ferrari was packed into the boot of the car so I used my sticks. We had a wander around the visitors centre and looked at some of the displays before our guided tour with Gordon round the BBMF Hanger. We knew the Lancaster, one of the Spitfires and a Hurricane were on their way back from Blackpool and we were keeping our fingers crossed that we would be lucky enough to see the flight come home. And yes we really were in for a treat. Gordon guided us round the hanger and engaged the kids as well. We learnt about the aircraft and their history. By the time we got to the end of the hanger the Spitfire flew over head, appearing out the dark clouds that had just finished giving a heavy downpour. The kids were so excited...and so were we! The Spitfire landed followed shortly by the Hurricane. Big smiles all round! Duncan Mason was flying the Hurricane and came over to speak to the group of bystanders that had gathered at the end of the hanger. Harry was very pleased to get his picture taken with him!
What a genuinely nice guy! He even gave my Harry monster his flight map, which we have laminated for Harry.
 
The plane that everyone was waiting for came into sight. The powerful sound of the Lancaster's engines filling the sky.
 Awesome!
 
 
The hanger and visitors centre is disabled accessible, you need to use a manual wheelchair in the hanger and they do provide wheelchairs and chairs to sit on throughout the tour. We thought they had thought of everything! A trip back to the shop to buy some souvenirs and treats for everyone and we were on our way to Sunny Scarborough with a wish to visit the BBMF again! They are on Facebook so please have a look at their page to see where they are flying, interact with other people and find out how to become a member! https://www.facebook.com/BBMF.Official?fref=ts
 
So we were now 3 hours from our destination and travelling in the car certainly does have an impact on Mr Arthritis. Joints seizing up and painful back, but I didn't care, I was one my way to see my family to continue my Birthday celebrations which have certainly got off to a flying start ;-)
 
We check into our 'usual' B&B in Scarborough, The Cordelia. It's not the easiest of B&B's as far as a disabled person is concerned but the stairs are shallow enough but there are a lot of them. The breakfasts are worth it. We've been going to this B&B for a number of years and it didn't occur to me that I would struggle. The stairs were the main issue and it took me 10 times longer to get up the stairs using my sticks than the rest of the family but such is the old the person my body has turned into.
 
The kids played on the beach while I watched from the side lines in the wheelchair. Mum, Dad and Grandma got to see me for the first time in the wheelchair. Dad HAD to get a picture...I don't think it was a good one! Catching up with everyone was great and the kids had a whale of a time. Harry even went on a 3 mile walk with his Grandma and Shadow.
 
One the way back  home we made another diversion to meet up with the lovely Cara. We have been speaking for years now and have never managed to meet up. We have so much in common from Twins to Arthritis. What fun we had! We raced the Ferrari!
The lovely Cara trying out the Ferrari!

 Friends for life! xxx

Laughter Therapy!

Me and my wheels!
 
I think the pictures show we had a lot of fun! Arthritis is painful, debilitating and depressing but if you let it run your life you miss out on so much. I see the chair as a positive thing, I get to meet friends, get out and about. It is Just a mode of transport. If people can only see the disability and the wheelchair it's their problem not mine!
 
I've spoken to a number of people on various forums about having children and not being able to do things with them anymore. My personal experience is you have to adapt. We do lots of crafty things at the table....baking, decorating cakes, drawing, painting. We play catch...I sit down the kids do the running around. They build castles and dens with blankets and cushions and I make up stories to tell them. Am I a fun mum? Yes I hope so. Am I am mum that can go off to the park, play football and do lots of active things.....No, but my kids don't miss out on mum time.
 
My actual birthday we were home for. I had previously booked tickets for everyone to see We're Going on a Bear Hunt at the Lyric Theatre. I used ALL my spoons and a few from the next couple of days. The London Underground is Hard Work! even with help from Paul I struggled BIG TIME. The theatre was ok, not too many stairs and plenty of leg room, which is what I need!

 As you can see we had a fab time.
We had to take everything slowly, but then that is another key. Taking things slowly and listening to your body.
 
So, now I am going back to work. I have been granted help from the Access to Work Scheme and will be going into the office 2 days a week by taxi. I am apprehensive, I've been off  so long it is like I am starting a new job with all the nerves and worries that go along with that. I'll be working from home the remaining 3 days a week. This is for the next 7-8 weeks until I go into hospital for my surgery. I've met a lovely lady called Michelle and we have become friends. Michelle is going in for her knee replacement on 10th September and we have exchanged numbers to keep intouch and keep each going through the pain and physio. I have noticed that I some friends have dropped off the radar. They don't call, or text anymore and when you bump into them they say "Oh I'll pop round for a cuppa and catch up", that never happens. But while some 'friends' drop out of you life, other friends appear and I am thankful for that. There are however loyal friends that keep in touch and visit from time to time. In fact it's not about the visiting but the occasional text, message, call or email just to say "hi" It is a 2 way street and I am as bad as the next person about picking up the phone....I am getting better at it though!
 
So today is Monday and I still have some spoons left which will be used up no doubt getting school uniform for the kids in Tesco this evening!
 
 
 

2 comments: