Thursday 11 April 2013

Getting a Grip!

Its been a strange couple of days as far as figuring out how I feel about everything! Tuesday I was told I had been approved for a Blue Badge which is going make things easier for me when we are out and about. Wendesday I recieved notification that I had been successful with my application for DLA (Disability Living Allowance) Im really not sure how I feel about it all.....it certainly isn't elation. It's a bit of a double edged sword. I have finally got recognition that I have a disability but I would give it all up for a working and healthy body.

Last night was a BAD night. Kness, hips and pelvis are extremely painful, I couldn't get comfy, couldn't get to sleep and was reduced to tears. Paul was wonderful as ever. Getting me some painkillers and holding me gently. The morning isn't much better so I have made an appointment with the GP. A recent ultra sound scan showed my pelvis had a lot of fluid in it and I want to discuss this and my pain management.

I am sure there are many people going through the same experiences but not everyone seems able to talk about having a disease which is seen as an old persons disease.

I mentioned in a previous post that the kids had some friends round and had created some yummy cakes! here is some pictures of the fun that was had and the creations made.



My kids keep me going and watching them have fun made my day!
 
I've mentioned before about having snazzy sticks here is a picture of my most recent pair
Its not a great picture but there are a number of websites that sell coloured or patterned walking sticks and crutches. My way of thinking is if you need to use a walking aid you may as well have nice looking set! I have the same pair but in blue and I was sitting on the tube a few months ago when a random bloke came up to me and pointing at my sticks said "What are they?" to which I replied quite shortly "What do they look like?" I wasn't expecting the following answer...."Ski Poles" I didn't know what to say other than "Should have gone to Specsavers Mate!!" The man was wearing an NHS hospital pass so I was confused as to why he thought they looked liked ski poles. He has no idea how much I would actually like to be able to go ski-ing!

A friend sent me a message asking if she could borrow my London Marathon Medal to show to her group of Rainbows next week. Of course I said yes but it also got me thinking about how my arthritis has deteriorated over the past year. This time last year I was getting ready to take part in the London Marathon for the charity Sense. I knew I had a problem and the physio had been advising me. The course was tough...26.2 miles is a long way! I hurt but I finished it. It was a great achievement and I will always remember the atmostphere, the support from friends and family and the public on the day. The cheering really keeps you going. To cross the finishing line was amazing! I am sad that I won't be able to run or power walk again. Riding a bike is painful too. I enjoyed taking part in events and raising money for charities. I look back and I am glad I managed those achievements.

This is me last year....
Unfortunatley I can only walk now with 2 elbow crutches and we are considering asking about a wheelchair for when we are out and about as moving about is a slow and very painful process.

When I was active I could keep my weight down, now I struggle to keep my weight stable. I've put on a stone in weight but I shouldn't complain too much. There are people in a worse situation than myself and I do have a wonderful family and circle of friends around me.

Time to start setting my small goals. Today's will be to help Paul prepare dinner...spaghetti bolognese!
 

5 comments:

  1. Its a hard road you tread my friend,my wife Sylvia was given the same news some 20 years ago that RA was the cross she had to carry,I will not bore you with all the pain she goes through cos you are sisters in pain and as her husband for 52 years I know when she is in pain,she means it...So hear is the poem I wrote after she discribed the pain.....

    The RA Curse


    The pain,”Oh” the hammer blow pain
    As rheumatoid arthritis attacks again
    Once nimble fingers and agile limbs
    Are distant memories when RA begins
    A sudden ache or a stiffening limb


    Or bones that hurt from deep within
    You see your doctor and he will say
    “Take these pills and it will go away”
    The pain persists and getting worse
    But you’ve never heard of the RA curse


    The swelling joints on all your limbs
    The unknown fear of what this means
    A blood test shows a negative blip
    Rheumatoid Arthritis has got a grip
    This dreadful disease, this painful curse
    Starts crippling the body and getting worse


    Distorted fingers and twisted joints
    Toes that swell, way-out of shape
    Screaming torture each step you make
    The pain you feel is best described
    As a six inch nail being hammered inside


    Or your fingers crushed in a workman’s vice
    The pressure increases within its grip
    The bones and sinews distort and split
    So don’t dismiss RA out of hand
    RA effects both woman and man
    Life can play some evil tricks
    “YOU” may be the next one to suffer with it



    Peter Wicks


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing the poem Peter, you managed to capture it with accuracey.Congratulations on being married for 52 years! I hope your wife is having a good day xxx

      Delete
  2. Congrats on the marathon, life can change dramatically in a short space of time when you are living with arthritis, I was diagnosed when I was 17 and it started small with knees and ankles, now I'm 28 and it has spread to the majority of my joints the worst being my right hand and wrist which makes even simple tasks difficult. I like the snazzy sticks, I wonder if they'd start doing hand and wrist supports cause I definitely buy one of them lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Stacie, have look online. I started by searching on google...you never know what you may find, If you do find some snazzy hand adn wrist supports let us know! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so with you re the weight thing. Sincere congratulations on the Marathon too, I managed a half marathon back in 80's. It is very difficult to maintain your weight isn't it?
    At my heaviest 16 st (I'm 5'2). Now around 12st but I want to get back to a single figure. I stick to under 1,500 cals per day and have just started going back to the pool. I cut out all booze 3 years ago and went veggie, it still aint easy! Best wishes

    ReplyDelete